Cedar County Conservation Board
|Fast Fact topic is:
- What makes a bird different than all the
other animals? Answer = feathers. Birds
are the only animals that have feathers.
- A bird's feathers also helps to keep it warm
by providing insulation.
- One of the best insulators for coats is often
goose down = special, fluffy goose feathers.
- Most birds have hollow bones! But why?
Birds have hollow bones so they can fly
- Ever been called a bird brain? Well birds,
such as owls, have huge eyes to gather as
much light as possible, so they can see at
night. Well those giant eyes come at a
price, its brain! Owl eyes take up so much
room in their head, there is not much room
left in their skull for their brains. So owls
actually have small brains!
- Birds need lots of energy to stay alive
during Iowa's harsh winters. But you can
help! Slather some peanut butter on your
tree and watch as certain birds gather to
partake in your generosity.
- You can also feed birds cooked spaghetti
noodles, stale popcorn, or even some old
- Birds also need grit to grind their food in
their gizzard. Winter grit is very hard to find
since the snow and ice often cover it. You
can put a small pile of sand by your feeder
to help the birds with this necessary dietary
**Note** The photo on
this page has been taken
from a websites. Click the
blue text below the picture
to view the original